The movie Serenity is full of great quotes. Joss Wheaton is just a great writer. Listening to the DVD commentary he said that he had a lot of long sections of dialog that were actually cut out. I guess he is really into conversation.
This quote is one of my favorites, and it is in the first 9 minutes of the movie, even before the credits run. The scene it is from forshadows one of the last few scenes in the movie beautifully and it establishes the new character of the Operative very nicely.
- The Operative: You know, in certain ‘older’ civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords.
- Dr. Mathias: Well, unfortunately, I forgot to bring a sword.
- Dr. Mathias: [as the Operative pulls out his sword] I would put that down right now if I were you.
- The Operative: Would you be killed in your sleep, like an ailing pet?
- Fight ensues. Dr. Mathias attempts escape. The Operative paralyzes him and then places the sword so he can fall on it. After he falls on the sword, before he dies.
- The Operative: This is a good death. There’s no shame in this. In a man’s death, a man who has done fine works.
You can watch the first 9 minutes online even.